Monday, January 17, 2011

Doofus Of The Day #433


Today's award goes to the unknown seller who listed for sale on Amazon.com what BoingBoing describes as 'a do-it-yourself gastric bypass kit'.




The original listing's been deleted from Amazon's Web site, but from the picture shown by BoingBoing (reproduced above), it seems that what was on sale were the contents of an ordinary surgical pack, the kind that's sold to hospitals and surgeries in large quantities. Someone probably got hold of a few of them, opened them to separate out the components inside, and tried to make a fast buck.

The most amusing elements of the story are the comments left by BoingBoing readers! Here's a brief selection.

I highly recommend these products. My vasectomy worked out well and the infection only kept me out of work for 7 months. Saved me a bundle! Next, I'll be doing my own hip-replacement using Maker and Steam Punk technology I learned here on the Boing Boing.

Is this sourced from Billy Bob's Discount Backyard Medical Supply and Barbeque? (Try our world famous ribs!)

The subtext of this is that it's easier to do a gastric bypass on yourself with no medical training than to lose weight by dieting.

Had to buy two sets to perform gastric bypass on my cow. ONE STAR.


There are many more at the link. They make amusing reading.



Peter

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I live in Southern California well known for, well . . . I'll leave it to you to fill in the blanks, and we have a lot of "enterprising" folks who are do-it-your-selfing liposuction and botox, otherwise known as fat-out and fat-in operations. And by do it yourself I mean that a person untrained in the medical procedures will do it for a reduced rate! Nuts! Oh, that's one way to fill in a blank! ;)

Arthur B. Burnett said...

Greetings from Texas,
It amazes me, when I read this sort of thing, that we still have excess population.