Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The future of personal computing?


I've been saying for some time that the technologies of personal computers, laptop and notebook computers, cellphones and television were getting closer and closer together. For the first time, a product has hit the market that brings them all together in a new and very useful way. It's Motorola's ATRIX 4G smartphone.




The beauty of the ATRIX is that it plugs into a dock, connecting either a desktop screen and keyboard:




or a laptop equivalent:




to the smartphone. This converts the latter into a full-function computer, containing its own memory, processing power, etc. It connects to the Internet via wireless technology, so if you're close to a hot spot, you don't even need a wired connection. (It doesn't use Windows, either!)

You can read more about the ATRIX at the link above, or do an Internet search to find some of the many reviews of this product. Here's a video report from the Guardian in England about it.







Impressive! I doubt whether I'll buy one, for financial reasons: but for the first time, these varied technologies have come together in a genuinely useful product. I predict many will follow Motorola's lead. Kudos to them for winning the race to market.

(My usual disclaimer: No, I'm not being paid or compensated in any way to mention this. I just like neat ideas and useful technology. This qualifies as both, I think.)

Peter

No comments: