Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Conspicuous consumption to the max!


Business Insider has published a list of "The 10 Most Expensive Watches You Can Buy Right Now". The thought of spending six or seven figures on a mere wristwatch strikes me as obscene, quite frankly . . . but there must be a market for them, otherwise no-one would make them.

Here's the Hublot Tourbillon Solo Bang, a snip at $105,000:




If that's a bit too low-cost for you, here's the Vacheron Constantin Les Cabinotiers. It's on sale, reduced from $484,000 to a mere (!) $387,200:




And if money is no object, there's the Patek Philippe Sky Moon Tourbillon 5002 P at a trifling $1½ million:




There are more watches at the link. Interesting, if rather repellent reading!

Since I regard a watch as something functional rather than fashionable, and I don't have money to spare for fripperies, I'll stick to my $16 Casio watch from Walmart, thank you very much . . .





Peter

8 comments:

Morris said...

1.5 million for a watch??? More money than sense if you'd buy one of those..

Yeah, I'll stick with my el cheapo watch to, methinks.

Anonymous said...

That is just asking to donate an entire arm to the cause of your average violent criminal.

Then again, if it only costs an arm I reckon it is therefore a bargain...

Jim

Anonymous said...

At that point, you are dealing with people for whom money is just a way to keep score . .

Cost aside, that second watch is too busy - I can't see the hands clearly enough to read it quickly.

LittleRed1

Betty said...

If you're so successful in life that you can honestly afford to treat yourself to an overpriced gadget, go for it, and congratulations.

perlhaqr said...

Man, and here I thought Rolex watches were goofy overpriced. *headshake*

Even if I was so fantastically wealthy that I could afford to drop 1.5 million on a watch... I'd buy more cars. :D

Old NFO said...

In Italy, it'd be gone in about 30 sec... Just sayin...

Anonymous said...

If the day comes that a Rolex or a Breitling becomes affordable, I will. Even then only because of what those two companies sponsor.

Jim

Anonymous said...

I'll spend up to low-three digits on a watch if it's a very nice design or super-sturdy, but I can't fathom spending four or five digits on a watch, to say nothing of six or seven..