Sunday, February 13, 2011

You might want to avoid Travelers Insurance


Say Uncle informs us that Travelers Insurance think they can make a value judgment about you on the basis of whether or not you own certain types of firearms. A correspondent wrote to him with details of his negotiations with the company. Here's an excerpt.

Through my insurance broker, Travelers Insurance Company informed me that the rifle was "illegal" and, as such was uninsurable. After lengthy communication with my broker who pointed out that the firearm in question is perfectly legal, and in fact, one of the most commonly owned rifles in the US, Travelers then modified their position, stating that this firearm was "undesirable" and that unless I sold or otherwise relinquished my ownership of this firearm, they would decline to continue BOTH my homeowners policy AND my umbrella coverage.

. . .

I would ... like this brought to the attention to as many people as possible, so that they may make an informed decision when choosing an insurance company for all of their insurance needs.


There's more at the link, including a link to an earlier article showing that Travelers Insurance has been guilty of such cavalier conduct in the past.

Thanks to Say Uncle for bringing this matter to our attention. I hope my readers will take it into account when making decisions about who might, or might not, be a reliable, trustworthy and Constitutionally-aware (and hopefully compliant) insurer with whom they'd like to do business. I certainly shall.

As of right now, Travelers Insurance goes on my 'cannot be trusted' blacklist.

Peter

2 comments:

perlhaqr said...

Man, I hate bigots.

Fortunately, I'm already with USAA, so, I've got the insurance thing covered.

Anonymous said...

Outrageous