Monday, June 20, 2011

Testing, testing . . . oops!


This video clip shows vehicles being tested on the VW test track in Germany. I've been there, and it's just as depicted. It's quite fascinating watching new cars being tested to destruction . . . expensive, too! I think this footage is fairly old, probably dating to the 1980's or early 1990's, but it's still fun to watch.







It's good to know that the cars we drive on the roads are tested this thoroughly - well, by VW, anyway! I'm not sure whether some of the el cheapo wheels are torture-tested this way.

Peter

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Peter:

Some of the cars look a bit more recent than early 90's. In particular, I spotted a new Beetle (introduced 1998) and a Golf IV (introduced 1997).

I certainly agree that some of the vehicles in the clip probably date back to the 80's (that yellow car looks a bit dated).

All told, fun to watch!

God bless!
Wayne

Shrimp said...

I think I finally figured out what I want to do with my life when I grow up. (If I grow up, according to my wife.) Seriously, people get paid to beat the crap out of a car? I'd do that for room and board. It's like therapy, but you get paid to go.

SpeakerTweaker said...

I lol'ed and lol'ed! That 'aerial' footage was particularly funny!

I'd take a job doing that, yes sir. Sign me up!



tweaker

Anonymous said...

Course, they don't show the clips where wheels or other parts fall off.

Bradley said...

you do know they built that right next to the east german boarder, when there was a east germany, just so other car makers could not fly planes over head and get looks at what they were building.

Old NFO said...

LOL- Good one, and yeah, they didn't show the pieces and parts falling off!

Anonymous said...

Looks like someone is paying attention to good design processes. Knowing how a system will fail is one of the best things you can do. Planing something to fail gracefully is often harder than you would think.

Nice to know what my VW has been through during the design & development phase...