Saturday, December 17, 2016

Leek and potato soup with hatch chile salsa


With temperatures dropping way below freezing tonight, I reckoned it was time to make a good, thick, hearty winter soup to warm us up.  It's turned out the best of its kind I've ever made.

LEEK AND POTATO SOUP WITH HATCH CHILE SALSA

You will need:

  • 3 leeks, large, trimmed, cleaned and sliced;
  • 6-8 potatoes (I used Yukon Gold), peeled and diced moderately small, sufficient to fill a mixing bowl to the same height as the sliced leeks;
  • Half a cup of bacon bits, or three rashers of bacon, fried until crisp and then crumbled;
  • Four cups of chicken broth (Miss D. and I prefer to mix it ourselves using Better Than Bouillon);
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup (to taste) 505 Southwestern Hatch Valley Green Chile Salsa (or equivalent, but the 505 is the tastiest I've yet found - those with stronger palates can add more, if they wish);
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder or minced garlic (your preference);
  • 1/4 cup parsley;
  • 2 tbsp. oil;
  • Salt and pepper to taste.  (I used kosher salt and Tone's Six Pepper seasoning.)

Method:

  1. In a large saucepan, place the oil, sliced leeks and bacon bits.  Sauté for 10 minutes until soft.
  2. Add the diced potatoes and chicken broth.  Bring to a light boil, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
  3. Add the salsa, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper.  Mix well and simmer for another 10 minutes.
  4. If you wish, you can purée the soup lightly using an immersion blender.  I prefer it chewy, with lumps in it.  Serve with grated cheese to sprinkle over your bowl, sour cream, and a nice loaf of your favorite bread.

It's dee-licious.  Enjoy!

(If you don't like the added bite of green chile salsa, try replacing it with 1/2 cup port or sherry.  That adds body and flavor, without the burn.  You can also add a cup of half-and-half or heavy cream to smooth out the chile burn, if you're so inclined.  I prefer sour cream for that purpose.)

Peter

4 comments:

Fjord said...

I add cream cheese and 1/2 &1/2 to make it cream of potato and leek soup. And no salsa, yuk.

TheOtherSean said...

Nice recipe. I swear by that Better Than Boullion myself. Works great for broth, or even just to add a bit of flavor when cooking veggies, pasta, etc. I'm not so sure about the salsa, but I may give it a try - I know I like the Hatch chile peppers on burgers and other green chiles with various beef dishes. ISTR the green peppers on burgers being big in New Mexico, but they had Hatch green chile peppers as a limited time special at a burger joint here in Cincinnati over the summer - totally awesome.

Daosus said...

The Hatch peppers are excellent. If you were to replace your leeks with some pork, you'd end up with Green Chile Stew, a popular dish here in New Mexico.

Also try some Chimayo red chile. It tastes like a somewhat spicy paprika.

Thanks for your recipe.

waepnedmann said...

Try the Sandia variety from The Hatch Chili Store.
A little hotter, but the flavor is worth it.
A little goes a long way in chil verde con puerco.
My version has been deemed, on multiple occasions, "The best thing I have ever eaten."